BOSWELL APARTMENTS are in LANGSIDE
Langside is one of the oldest and most event-filled areas on the south side of Glasgow.
There is evidence of prehistoric settlement, a community of radical weavers and some
stately houses and villas, before it became fully urbanised and one of the major
local historical attributes was that Mary Queen of Scots finally lost her kingdom
at the Battle of Langside.
The White Cart Water to the south and the two long hills with summits in Queen’s Park and Mansion house Road define its hilly and surprisingly wooded character. The name Langside - long hill - refers to this feature.
Langside, Crossmyloof and Cathcart were all part of the ancient parish of Cathcart. Langside village originated at the cross-roads between the north-south route from the crossing of White Cart Water to the centre of Glasgow, and the east-west path from Crossmyloof down Lang Loan (Battlefield Road). Until well into the twentieth century the area encompassed the Battlefield area as well as modern day Langside. It formally became part of Glasgow in 1891.
SHERBROOKE APARTMENTS are in POLLOKSHIELDS
Pollokshields is an area of the Southside of Glasgow. Predating Bedford Park of London by nearly a quarter of a century, it is sometimes claimed to be the UK's first Garden Suburb, despite having been planned and constructed before the movement's inauguration.
Pollokshields Burgh Hall established by the Stirling-Maxwell family in 1849, Pollokshields was set out or 'feued' by the Edinburgh architect David Rhind. Many well-known Glaswegian architects contributed to its development and, amongst others, it contains villas by Glasgow ' s other architectural genius Alexander 'Greek' Thomson.
There are also several contributions by contemporaries of Charles Rennie Mackintosh including a series of good 'Glasgow style' tenements by the architect H. E. Clifford, who was also responsible for the 'A' listed Pollokshields Burgh Hall, in Scottish Baronial style which was inaugurated in 1890, with Maxwell Park.
The ground for Maxwell Park was given by Sir John Stirling-Maxwell of Nether Pollok in 1888, and the park was formally opened at the same time. Such was its early population growth Pollokshields attained 'burgh' status in 1876.
However, this ended in 1891 when after being offered favourable tax terms the residents of the burgh agreed to it becoming a suburb of the growing city of Glasgow. The Victorian and Edwardian architecture and the parks of this area have remained almost untouched, leaving the feeling of a leafy Victorian suburb, while being well within the city.
Modern Pollokshields is an area of ethnic diversity, home to large communities of mainly Pakistani, as well as Indian, origin. The area's commercial eastern side is home to a large number of South Asian shops (fruit, meat and clothes shops) attracting shoppers from all over Scotland . Albert Drive is also known for its high standard of Pakistani takeaways and is the location of the two Eid celebrations that occur every year when the Muslim community of Glasgow congregate to commemorate the end of the Holy Month of Ramadan. Muslims from all over central Scotland make their journey to the south side of the city.
The 2004 film Ae Fond Kiss, directed by Ken Loach, was filmed in Pollokshields. This is the story of a second generation Pakistani man, who falls in love with a white girl.
G.S.C.A. Local Information
“House For an Art Lover”
Designed by Charles Rennie Mackintosh Popular Wedding Venue and Restaurant
Close to Sherbrooke